Thursday, May 9, 2013

Healdsburg Visit

I made a resolution this year to visit two new wineries a month.  So far I've failed to keep it up, but I have made it to a few.  And these two wineries were in Healdsburg, not Napa, so I think that should give me at least double points. 

Quivira was a recommended stop.  I was interested in visiting this winery because they make a Grenache.  This is the wine I wanted to make (but couldn't find last year) so I made Barbera instead.  The wine here was tasty and refueled my ambition to try to find some Grenache.

Next stop was Williams Selyem.  Fantastic pinot.  I had seen pictures of the beautiful architecture in a magazine and really wanted to visit the winery.

The stacked barrels by the window were only a display.  That much direct sunlight is a winemakers nightmare.

The building and it's surrounding were truly impressive.  But I was disappointed to learn that this building was mainly a storage facility.  The wine is made elsewhere.

So I enjoyed the beautiful scenery instead.

There was a gigantic stone pad on the back side of the building.  I'm curious what they use it for since it's not a crush pad.

On another note . . . .

Today is my Friday and I am very excited for this weekend.  Napa is hosting a very epic (for Napa) music festival called Bottle Rock.  It started today and goes till Sunday.  A 4-day pass was a little out of my budget but I will be going for one of the days. I will report back on how bad the traffic was, how hot it got and mostly likely a few stories of dumb things tourists did. 
So excited! YAY!

-L

P.S. Anyone else going?

No comments:

Post a Comment