Monday, July 1, 2013

Wine Labels - Old is the new New

This is one of my favorite wine labels.  Palermo by Orin Swift.  

This is another Orin Swift label, The Prisoner.


Pappilon, by Orin Swift.



I love the large label with no information.  I think I would like The Prisoner more if it was in the same style as Palermo and Papillon - no title, white border.  I really love these bottles.

I'm thinking so much about labels because in a handful of days TK and I will be bottling our wine.  We don't need a finished label in order to bottle, but it's one of the funner parts of making wine, so I've started trying to narrow it down.


Thinking of favorite labels, I always have to point to my former boss Michelle Edwards wine: Linnea Rhizotomi.  I adore this label.  I want a tattoo of this label.


Also, I recently saw these label designs by the Spanish design agency Lavernia & Cienfuegos.  They see faces and people in corks too!  
I've yet to see a Koalo bear though.

See, I only talked about putting a hat on a cork, these guys did it! 

These are the latest cork faces I found this week:
 Dopey Frankenstein and a one-eyed pirate.  Excuse me while I go make hats for them.

Lavernia & Cienfuegos design all kinds of beautiful things, like Solar Milk?!? Just kidding, sun tan and bronzing products.  The packaging is so pretty, I want some Leche Solar.

So then it was time to think about my label.  I wanted it to be simple, like Orin Swift.  Just a picture in the front and save all the information for the back label.  

Front.


Back.

I love polaroids, so naturally I wanted the label to be of a polaroid I took.  Although when I showed the front label to a friend and they quickly advised against going with the 'instagram' look.  This is hilarious and sad to me because I wasn't taking a new picture and making it look old, I used an old picture of an actual polaroid.

These are all the polaroids I have framed on my wall.  I started taking them in 2004 when I got my first camera as a birthday gift.
       
These are the ones that I have yet to frame.


Will post about the weekend's bottling adventures in a few days. In the mean time, any one else have favorite labels to share?

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment