Thursday, June 13, 2013

Screw Caps Anyone?

I wanted to start today with a peaceful scene of Portugal, because this time of year I can slip into some negative feelings about Portugal's cork industry.  I have been screening corks for the upcoming bottling since March and at this rate will not finish until July.

These are large format corks that I first visually inspect and select, to ensure I only soak the prettiest corks.

 Corks on the left are pitted and a lower grade (C) than the corks on the right (Grade A).  I took these pictures at a supplier facility in Portugal.


After sorting, I screen the corks by soaking them over night (24 hours) in 10% ethanol to extract any potential TCA.  I explained the process in more detail in last year's post: Soooo Much Cork

So for today's post I will share my favorite corks.


This is Happy Cork.  Intern Amber found him a few years ago while she was inspecting corks.  Todd Pickering captured his portrait last year.

Happy Cork reminds me of Happy Toast.  I almost ate him during a lunch in Portugal.

Meet Skeptical Cork.  He's not sure about this cork business.

This one looks a little constipated to me.

Gentleman Cork. I think he is only missing a top hat.

Just go with it. . .


 I need to find happy little mustache faces, because sometimes I feel sad thinking about all the cork I have to soak.

Other times I feel totally over whelmed. . . .

But then I remember Love Cork.  Every time I feel overwhelmed, looking at Love Cork makes me feel a little better.

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment