Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Annual Blessing of the Grapes

Every September for the last 20 years, the Blessing of the Grapes marks the beginning of Harvest.  On the table is a blue box with grapes to be blessed.  It contains all 5 Bordeaux varietals (Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet franc, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Malbec) from our estate vineyards.


   At 9am we are called from our offices. The first step is to grab a mimosa and pastry (not pictured).

Next, the whole company gathers in the courtyard to hear the Blessing from Father Gerald of The Carmelite Monastery (home of the annual intern fundraiser and BBQ).

Father Gerald read a prayer and a passage from the Bible.  I translated his prayer, and by "I translated" I mean I asked for backup from my professional translator mother and professional catholic aunt (gracias Tia Stephanie!) and read from a Spanish Bible he brought.  I'm not the most comfortable public speaker but it went alright.

Father Gerald, myself and La Biblia.

Father Gerald sprinkled the grapes and the audience with holy water, then two Spanish guitarists played for us.  In 2008 the after-blessing entertainment were two mimes who mimed being grape clusters.  If you're into mimes, art vs science or french (all of which I am) click here.

Margrit Mondavi came to The Blessing as she does every year.  What a classy lady.

Next a photo-op with the blessed grapes and this year's interns: Ryan (Canada), Madeleine (Switzerland), Shiri (Israel) and Chelsea (California).  Not pictured is the lab intern Patricia from Brazil.  Quite an international group we have.

The high female to male ratio this year makes me think I am going to have a pretty pathetic Harvest Beard Championship 2011.


Or not.  Either Ryan will be hairy enough for all 5 of them, or these ladies will surprise us.  I'm hoping for the latter.


-L

No comments:

Post a Comment