Wednesday, February 6, 2013

2013 Unified Symposium - Sacramento

January is cold and ultra busy with blending, but I also love it because I get to go to Unified.  Usually.  Last year was too busy, so I was extra pumped to go this year.  Unified gets all wine making things together under one roof and all winemaking people.  So you get to see all the new toys and products available and you run into everyone you know and haven't seen since the last Unified.

 The convention is 3 days long with seminars and a trade show going on simultaneously.  This year I only had 1 day available to spend in Sacramento so I only went to the trade show.  I took my intern Gilroy on Wednesday January 30th.  She took this picture of me with a ceramic wine bottle because I had never seen wine in a ceramic bottle.  When (most) everyone is worried about their carbon footprint and trying to reduce shipping weight (and cost) this winery chose to use an extra heavy bottle.  I think it is a bold choice.

 The trade show starts around 9am but in the early evening they start pouring wines from all over the US.  I saw at least 4 tables covered in glasses.  This puts my tastings to shame.

 I am super excited about this picture because it includes TB (far right), he was the co-creator of FPB blog back in 2010!  Without him, I doubt I would have come up with the idea to begin blogging and it was our mutual admiration of Radiohead that lead to the FPB name.  But I left that job 2 years ago and have barely since him since.  The only way my sweater could be more appropriate for this picture is if inside the heart were the words "I love CLV, but especially TB".  And them maybe an arrow pointing to the right.

 Ok, enough nostalgia, back to cool stuff.  I really liked this wooden wine carrier that turns into a wine rack.  So clever.

Close by there was another wood box maker.  Look at the tiny phone!  Or rather, look at the GIANT wine bottles that make that normal size phone look tiny.


Gilroy is standing by for a size comparison.  I think this wood box maker must also make coffins.

Then you turn a corner and there is a beautiful live owl hanging out.  I think this booth wanted to say something about using predator birds in the vineyard, I don't know, couldn't pay attention with that beautiful bird using his wise eyes to stare into my soul.

 But it turns out my intern Gilroy is a bigger fan of this nocturnal bird of prey than I am, and she had the earrings to prove it.

This system gasses the head space.  I find it hypnotic.

 We took a break for lunch and spotted this tall gentleman.  First I had to find someone taller than me to tap him on the shoulder so I could ask if he would take a picture with me.  He's 6'10!  Also, I'm wearing heels.


After lunch we wandered back to the closures section to look at corks and screw caps.

 I'm a fan of screw caps.

 I'm also a fan of this display.

 It took me way too long to realize that the trees around the convention center were painted blue.  I must have walked past them 4 or 5 times before it hit me.

 And it wasn't just a couple, all the trees surrounding the convention center were blue!

 After a long day of walking around, I got a chance to sit by a warm fire place.  It's hard to tell but I am affectionately clutching a dark and stormy.

The day started at 5am to get the dogs to "puppy day care" and have enough time to get to Sacramento by 8am.  Then a full day of walking and talking to people and then comes my new favorite tradition of Unified.  The sushi dinner with Scott Labs.  It's an intimate affair with some of my favorite people in the wine industry and all you can eat sushi.  

No comments:

Post a Comment