Monday, November 29, 2010

It's Your Birthday Everyday Napa! We Got You Some Balloons.

The following footage has been patiently waiting in my hard drive since October for new editing software.


Even though Harvest is an exhausting time of the year and driving to work after only a few hours of sleep is everyone's least favorite thing to do, I enjoy the early morning drive for one reason only: the hot air balloons.  Every clear morning during the fall in Napa, there are at least 15 hot air balloons taking off from several spots in the valley.  I like to think that it looks like we are throwing Napa Valley a birthday party everyday.


One Saturday morning (6:45am) back in October as I was driving to work and admiring the balloons (as usual), I decided to pull over and film them.   I pulled over at the golf course where a group of 4 balloons were taking off.  Every morning for months and months those same 4 balloons take off from this one spot.  But steering capabilities for large balloons are poor, so they land wherever they find a clearing.  Sometimes this ends up being in T's front yard and as a thanks they leave a bottle of Sparkling wine at the front door.



I had 16 minutes of footage which I sped up and condensed into 2 minutes, which unfortunately makes my shaky camera work very obvious.  Tripod for Christmas?


-L

2 comments:

  1. This is really a very lovely video- I love "Of Montreal" (hopefully that proves my hipster bona-fides)- it's quite fitting. Hope, and know, you're good.
    PS: More blog (I can't leave comments for every one of your entries; for fear that it will appear creepy- but, keep bloggin you, becauase your blog is really fascinating and well written).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very sweet of you BeeRenDan, you provide the love and unconditional support my parents couldn't, I mean, look over there >_>

    And so you know, your hipster cred was never in question. Thanks for being interested in our little dog and pony show.

    ReplyDelete